What if I move to Price? I've been obsessing over this idea for over a month now. Joe and I NEVER considered moving back to Utah once we'd left. We were surprised by how much we love Iowa. I mean, come on-who dreams living it up by moving to Nowheresville middle America? But once we got here we realized that it was home. I fell in love with the idea of experiencing new places and almost immediately decided never to go back to Utah. I'd lived there my entire life and really never realized how much of the world is outside of it. The mountains in Utah are beautiful, but I also think the plains and the rolling hills of cornfields in the Midwest are breathtaking. So why stop here? Why not experience even more? Utah already has almost as many Dentists as they do LDS churches. I was going to move to Tahoe or Northern CA, or Texas, or Georgia, or wherever adventure called. That was the plan. It still might be the plan. But my plan isn't quite as solid as it used to be.
While we were visiting Utah a couple weeks ago Joe was made aware of a job possibility in Price. I won't get into all the details, but we'll just say it was enough to shake up our plan a bit. And now this idea has been blistering in my mind, and I have to get it out. Neither Joe or I are that keen on the idea of living in Price for the rest of our lives, but we'd be completely stupid not to give it some serious consideration. Unfortunately I'm terrible at making decisions. I obsess over all the options and basically think myself in circles (if that makes sense). Joe isn't much help either. The man can't stop talking about dentistry or sports, but when i ask his thoughts on this dilemma he says, "i think the same as you". Thanks Joe that's super insightful.
What if I'm wrong about Price just like I was wrong about Iowa? What if this Independence and adventure that I've loved so much over the last 3 yrs is what is best for me now, but not really what will make us happy in this next stage of life? The stage of having kids in school and in Tee Ball and so forth? When I was growing up I wished I had cousins my age, and that is something my boys have in spades, but what good is it if we only see them a couple of times a year? I know my kids could be happy in Price, and I know Joe could adjust fairly easily moving back, and our families would be ecstatic. but is making everyone else happy enough to keep me happy? I can't make these kinds of decisions. Some days I get a little excited thinking about trips to Lake Powell with our family, and some days I just cry thinking that I might be giving up my dreams of the life I wanted. Maybe I'm just being dramatic or prideful or wishy-washy. I can't tell. All I know is that the plan is shaken, or it might not be fool proof.
10 comments:
I know what you mean. It's a toughie. As much as your family will be very interested in having you in Utah, don't make your decision solely on that. Otherwise sooner or later there will be resentment in some form. I've always wanted to get out of Utah if an opportunity arose, but since I'm from out of state, that's easy for me.
I'm sure whatever you decide will be GREAT!!
I think the same as you and Joseph. :) K I still don't understand why our husbands can't go into practice together? It seems like it would solve a multitude of problems.
Also, don't go back to UT in October. It's only been 2 1/2 weeks and we're going through withdrawals out here. So, those are my two cents, neither of which helps with your dilemma at all. Sorry bout that...
I that you should move to price! Then you would only be 3 hours away! I just hope with whatever you and Joe decide that we will be able to see your family more often
I know, this is tough. I battle with the desire to be near family too. Sometimes I feel like we miss out on so much because we live away. On the other hand, we gain so much independence and wonderful friends and experiences that I know we wouldn't have if we lived in Utah. I have also been thinking a lot about whether or not I want my kids to grow up in Utah, in that type of community, setting, and mindset (aside from the pros of being near cousins). Think about that, too (if you haven't already). You and Joe are still very young. There are decades of experience for your family, wherever you choose to make that happen. Think about it and really weigh all of your options. That's how we decided to join the Navy. Decide on what you think will be best, and then pray. You guys will figure it out and be happy. Just don't be surprised if new plans or agendas present themselves all along your way, too ;) Love you guys! Good luck.
p.s. sorry to write an essay
I have learned that home is what you make of it... I don't think you have to make those decisions yet.. Keep looking... praying... fasting... You will get your direction the answer just might not be now....
Love you
I vote Price. Hands down.
Sometimes its hard to be an adult! My advice is to explore all options, choose the one that feels good, pray about it and if you don't get a no, take it.
It does sound though like you've already told yourself that you won't like or be happy moving back to Utah. That might be a big wedge for your future happiness if every other place is a no. So you'll have to be care full to discern between your current feelings and spiritual guidance. That might be a little tricky. I know it is for me. You'll have to have me tell you our decision to move to Monticello story.
I came to Monticello with hope of liking it, but soon found ways to withdraw. I was miserable. I knew we were supposed to be here, but I didn't have a good attitude and lived for years unhappy. It was because the story I played over and over in my mind--the story that I had created as I withdrew--was not positive. Once I learned what I was doing, and started to understand the doctrine of creation, I began to change the story that was playing over and over in my head. Started adding things that I could control that brought happiness. Through this process I think I have learned that I can be happy anywhere. But it is up to me to create my happiness and that has to start in my mind first.
Good Luck to you in this process. We'll have to skype and I will tell you the story. Luv, Sher
I've always wanted to live outside of Utah. You've had the best of both worlds. Good luck with your decisions!
You don't know me, Jessica, but I'm one of Joe's old friends from high school and the Ambassador days at CEU. I agree with what others have said here- do what you feel is right! My husband and I couldn't wait to get out of Price when we were first married. We lived in Mesa AZ for a bit and then SLC. Then after we had our first baby, everything changed. We already knew we were small town folk (I could never get used to city traffic)... but we also missed being around our families, so we returned to our home town to raise our family and have LOVED it! We have been really happy here. We feel safe, our kids get to see their cousins and grandparents often and it's close enough to other stuff to easily get out of town when needed. Having said that... I know living in Price (or Utah, for that matter) is not for everyone! Four of my best friends moved out-of-state and have really enjoyed the various places they live too.
~Natalie (Penry) Palmer
PS: We live in Joe's parents' ward right now! They are awesome. (Although we are building a house and moving soon.)
I have always thought that going away for a reason like school would have been neat as a younger family because it wasn't forever.
But what happens when it's over???
The Price opportunity does sound REALLY tailor made.
There are always vacations- or at least the travel chanel. J.K.
I think you have lived away long enough that you have that "outside of Utah" diversity within you and your perceptions are forever widened, even if you do move back.
Post a Comment