Thursday, February 16, 2012

Isn't this supposed to be restful?

I am guilty of putting my kids in front of a movie when I need them out of my hair for a while. I think all moms do this at some point. But most of the time when I turn on a movie, it doesn't get me off the hook. For example, right now I am folding laundry and I put on The Little Mermaid so the boys can sit contentedly and not wake up Joelle. Her room is where all of the boys' toys are since they can't sleep in the same room as their toys. Ok, so now here is how it goes.
I turn on the movie and sit down with my mountain of laundry. The movie starts and i start folding

Noah: what's that mommy?
Me: it's a boat
Noah: where's a he going?
Me: they're going fishing
Noah: why?
I don't answer
Noah: why mommy? why's a he fishing?
Me: I don't know honey
Noah: (whine) don't say 'i don't know' mommy! i'n asking so nice! I'n bein so nice!
Me: ok, sorry Noah. you did ask me very nicely.
After the song. the fish slaps the skinny old guy and jumps back in the water
Noah: mommy, see da fish? Where's a he goin mommy?
Me: He jumped back in the water
Noah: where?
Me: He's swimming home
Noah and Ethan comment as they see the different fish and whales during the intro. Sebastian's concert begins and Ariel is missing
Noah: what happened mommy? Ariel's daddy's a so mad?
Me: yup
Noah: why is he so yellin?
Me: because Ariel was supposed to be home but she wasn't there
Noah: where is he?
Me: she's right there
Noah: and he's not home?
Me: nope
Noah: he's bein so naughty and swimmin away? and da shark? ......and da shark mommy?
Me: yup, there's the shark
Noah: it's a fork mommy....see? ....see mommy?....see da fork?....mommy! you not talkin to me!
Me: yes honey it's a fork.
Noah: look mommy look! the shark! what's a he doin?!
Me: ya, the shark is chasing them.
Noah: why's a he chasing Ariel?
Me: because the shark is hungry and he wants to eat Flounder and Ariel
Noah: but he's gonna get in trouble wif her daddy pecause he's so mad and say 'Ariel!'
Me: ya, and she'll have to go in time out for being naughty
Noah:sometimes i'n so naughty and have to go to time out.
Me: sometimes
Noah: but today i'n so nic-(gasp) mommy! what just happened!

You can see why i find movie time so exhausting. I'm supposed to just sit, watch The Little Mermaid, and fold laundry while my baby sleeps and my boys watch happily. It's not always the case.

6 comments:

Brittany Petersen said...

Oh how funny! Just the cuteness I needed today!

Anonymous said...

The boys have great questions. You're a good mom who uses even movies to have teaching moments. so to your list of hats, mom wife, cook, maid, you now add teacher. Luckily women can do more than one thing at a time. Also, it's a blessing when babies nap. Mom whitehead

Tawnya said...

He he, I can totally hear him saying that! Funny kid!

Emily said...

That does sound exhausting!

Jessica Jensen said...

He's his father's child.... questions.... questions... questions... I think he is also related to his Uncle John and believe me that is worse than his dad when it comes to questions and movies!

Sarah said...

Too funny! It's hard to have any downtime. The moment I sit, Anabelle gets all chatty and wants to climb all over me. Thanks for sharing :)