Friday, May 23, 2008
Seeking Advice
For the past few weeks I have been thinking of low cost ways to really make the most of the time I have left in Utah. Summer months are always the busiest, excluding December i suppose. Nonetheless I see and hear of friends and family members taking trips, camping, vacations, etc. Its almost as if I am surrounded by carpe diem posters. So i imagine ways to make memories. After all, I will be leaving to Iowa at the end of the summer and if I want to do anything with my friends or family I'd better do it now. The only vacations I'll be taking in the next five years will be trips back home and that will be twice as expensive as any fun things I plan here. So I should do something now while I still can. But then the rational side of me rears its ugly little head and whispers in my ear. What about the boys? How will they fare or who will babysit? What about money? Shouldn't you be saving right now? As much as i hate having to grow up and think of other things besides having fun the fact remains that I'm no longer a college freshman. I have a husband, two kids, and I'll soon be in HUGE student debt. Its an epic battle inside of me. So who should win? The side that says "Its now or in five years. There is no in between, so do something while you still have the means". Or the side that says "Be grateful for what you already have. With twins you are on a vacation if you are sane and sleeping through the night". So I've reached the point where I take suggestions. Any thoughts or ideas or even a verbal kick in the pants would be appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Things that are fun and meaningful don't have to cost a lot of money. Most of the time, they cost nothing at all. Do you remember all those times we laughed our faces off? And they don't cost a penny, just some time. At this point, your most valuable asset is your time. Spending it with those you love will be more valuable in the long run than blowing all your dough on some face-busting activity. Just some thoughts. Don't worry, anything with you guys involved is fun, no matter what. Love you.
Laura's right about fun things not having to cost money. The problem lies in thinking of what to do that is fun. Obviously, that's the battle you have run into. Now, I do not know how much help I can offer, but maybe go to the park, or zoo, have a BBQ with family and friends, or a game night. There's a few ideas.
Now to get on with it, I miss you too Jesser. Life isn't very busy here yet, but my apartment is coming along. I have one more coat of paint to put up and then I will post pictures, I promise. I'm trying to create a slideshow, but I am having some trouble. It's taking me a while to figure some of this stuff out. Hopefully I will finish soon.
Oh, by the way, we had our first tornado watch last night. I was kind of scared, but nothing happened even close to where we are...usually doesn't. I love you, tell your fam hello. I hope Joe and his two mini clones are doing well too. Later
I have felt the same way as you many times... especially while my friends have new homes, nice cars, go shopping, get nails done, take trips to Disneyland etc. And I get a date night to the movies if I am lucky.
One thing I have learned it that everything is what you make of it. You don't need those things to be happy they are just things.. quick fixes, but once you go you just wish to go again or somewhere new.
Since living away from home I have leaned that coming home begins to be the best vacation I take.
I have a proposition for you.
A weekend getaway... babysitters provided... cost...gas!
Bed and breakfast (themed room, spa, fireplace.. candlelight dinner, breakfast)
Temple session in the Logan Temple.
Picnic up Logan Canyon
Naps
Park
Movies and Games
What do you think?
Just thought I'd let you know...Trish started a blog and the address is callistercatch.blogspot.com. She said she didn't have your email addresss. Let her know about your blog too, I guess. I'm also just about to put up more pics on my blog about Wichita and our apartment. Check it out sometime. Much Love!!
Hey Jess -
Cute Blog! You could take a trip down to Sunny St. George, do a little site seeing. You could stay at the Callister Hotel, or I could get you a cheap room at the Hilton Garden Inn. Kody and I would love to watch the boys one night so you can take a night on the town. You are always welcome!
COME VISIT US!!! We will be a cheap trip, but we promise fun, and relaxation! -Sarah
Well I killed 3 hours in DI today and it cost me more than it should have.
Bug's Life, Scooby Doo Alien Invasion, and Elmocize= $2 a piece
Dumb toys that the kids paid for themselves= about $3
Church shoes for Will(2 nice pair)= $4 a pair.
I think I was shopping because we were bored without John. Usually I am eating at these times but since I am "fasting" (from junky snacks) I blew some major cash at DI for therapy. So don't listen to me.
HOWEVER- I am a major fan of picnics, though, and it is the season. If your boys are stable enough before you leave you can borrow my new bike trailer that I can't use right now. You can pay a lot of money to rent a bike on vacation.
And I have never been to Kennecott Copper Mine but it is hugely known outside Utah and one of the only things that can be seen from space. So maybe an educational field trip would be vacationish. Or you could watch the travel chanel. Ha ha.
Oh yeah, and Temple Square. I think most people miss temple square when they move away from UT. There are always free concerts and such there. You'd better go visit that Seagull Memorial one more time before it is thousands of miles away.
If you want to feel more grateful you can always go tour the Humanitarian Center. (It is not on temple square). It is free of course. I learned a lot there and took my kids and they did OK.
Scott and I really need to come and visit with you soon! This Saturday the 7th we are going to Bountiful and maybe we can stop by and visit! I haven't talked to you in a while and I will be calling you soon. My advice is what everyone else has said, picnics, and etc. Also make sure you take lots and lots of pictures of all the fun things you do! It seems that when I take pictures I feel like I am spending more quality time with whoever I am with, plus you will remember better the things that you have done!
Post a Comment