Sunday, May 30, 2010

Our awesome DIY project

Jess and I have been in need of some sort of TV stand for when we move. The problem was that we were really picky. We needed something sturdy, and something that was tall enough that the boys wouldn't be able to get their grimy little fingers all over my TV. We were definitely on a budget and Jessica kept changing her mind about what exactly she wanted; Doors, no doors, armoire, no armoire, mounted, or just a big dresser. Fortunately-or maybe unfortunately, she caught the crafting bug and decided to find an old beat up dresser to fix up. Exhibit A: I found this dresser from the 1920's for $16 at Goodwill. as you can see, the middle drawer is broken, and there is a lot of damage to the left side of the bottom drawer.

Shown above. Despite its imperfections Jessica approved the dresser and was eager to tackle this new project. Namely, by making me do all the work.

I got my crew together and started sanding this rickety old dresser down. I had to do it all by hand since I didn't have an electric sander.


before and after.



This is after I'd sanded the whole thing down, tacked in new nails to stop all the wobbliness, and put wood glue in every joint. I filled in the drawer gash with wood glue and sanded it smooth.




Shown here






Here is when Jessica got...creative (to put it delicately). We painted the base coat of the dresser red.


notice that the gash is no longer visible. Yes, thank you, I know I'm quite skilled.







The next step got REALLY tricky. We used crackle paint and then did an orange top coat. We had to redo this step three times before we got it right. When we tried to paint it the first time it basically just melted off. It was too humid for the paint to dry so it just sloughed off and i had to sand it all down again, paint it red and try again...and again.



Here is the result:
And this is how it looks once I painted on the top coat of gloss. I have to admit that it turned out really fun. Jess and I were both pretty hesitant about the color choice, but we knew we didn't want to do something boring and mundane. We just went for it.


If you'll notice, these are the handles that came with the dresser. Jess opted to keep the originals instead of buying new knobs-which I appreciated since I didn't have to pay for them.






As much work as it was, I really had fun doing it. It was something that I looked forward to working on each night. It's always a good feeling to work and accomplish something, and it reminded me of watching my older brother and my grandpa working in Gramps' old workshop. Maybe it was some sort of 2ND son pride thing, but it felt good to do some carpentry the right way-and I especially loved that it was super cheap.
Look forward to seeing this in our new apartment in 2 weeks!

22 comments:

meag said...

i absolutely love the way that turned out! so so awesome. good work.i love diy projects, although i haven't tackled anything as great as yours!

Nicky and Patrick said...

That is awesome! I love it. I have been thinking of doing crackle finish to our dresser, but haven't gotten the guts to do it. I think you have inspired me:)

Brittany Petersen said...

That looks awesome guys!! Josh loves crackle pain, he always wants to repaint things now.

Unknown said...

I love it! That is so awesome!

Sarah Sidwell said...

great job joey jess and the boys! It turned out great!
Jess

Unknown said...

great job you guys! It looks great!

Sarah said...

Wow, that looks great! Fun choice of colors, I never would have thought to use those. Good job :)

Sarah Sidwell said...

I like it!! Love the colors! Don't you just love making trash into treasure! Nice job Joey and crew!

Thomas said...

That dresser looks really cool. I would like to do something like that for my TV.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have an old dresser and night stand. Need another project?
mom

Joe'n'Jess said...

absolutely I would, mom. I had a ton of fun doing this.

Anonymous said...

Love Love Love it! That really is amazing! I have seen several people do these and I really want to try it but scared that it wont turn out as good as yours did! I might have to have you help me!

Sheila Buchei said...

Looks FABULOUS! Do you hire out?

Emily said...

Great job! Although it can be a tiring process, the pride from seeing the amazing finished project makes it all worth it!

Jewel said...

WOW!!! I am really impressed. Someone told me that refinishing a piece of furniture was a good thing to do while dating because then you will know if you get along with the other person in a real life situation. So I guess since you guys redid something so awesome together, you are meant to be.

Jewel said...

I didn't know you were moving. That's pretty cool, although I hear moving is kind of a pain. Nice work on the dresser. I'm glad your happy with your work. However I think you missed a spot. The lower left drawer on the top next to where it... oh, never mind.

JAW

Shermilton said...

CUUUTE!

Tawnya said...

How did I not know you did this?! I LOVE it!

Recaptured Charm said...

Really great job. Love the colors you used. Some things just look right with a crackle finish. You applied it perfectly... not overdone.
Very nice project.

Ellen said...

Hi, I found your post via tatertots and jello and LOVE how your dresser turned out! do you have any advice on brushes/rollers to use when you're crackling big surfaces like this? I want to crackle my bathroom vanity but keep shying away from it because my practice runs with big surfaces keep failing!

Cassie said...

This dresser is amazing! I love the color. Inspiration for my vanity makeover :)

Suzin said...

I LOVE this! I've had an unfinished dresser for years and could not decide on how I wanted to refinish it. This looks so cool. I hate mundane and always want to be a little different. I will be doing this to mine with a pink base and the orange topcoat. THANKS for the great idea!!!